Pardon my insensitivity

Jay Bryant:

You'll have to pardon my insensitivity, but I'm just not much concerned about the abuse of the detainees we're holding at Guantanamo Bay.

ABC's Peter Jennings doesn't see it that way, of course. He actually seems to believe the lamentations of the relatives of one Guantanamo detainee who claim he was in Afghanistan only to work with refugees. In fact, no humanitarian aid agency ever heard of him, and the one thing we know for sure is that when the remnants of the Taliban army high-tailed it out of the country he went with them.

So I'm just a little suspect of his do-gooder credentials. Nonetheless, Jennings gave the family tons of face time in his hatchet job "documentary" last night.

Remember, ABC is the network that won't even give its own monthly poll any coverage when it shows Bush ahead of Kerry, but puts it front and center whenever it shows the opposite.

...

To be fair, I have to tell you that at least some of the detainees taken to Cuba were underage, too, but they were typically released pronto. One of them, a 13ish Afghan boy, told the left-wing Guardian newspaper in London, "I am lucky I went there, and now I miss it. Cuba was great." Apparently this kid didn't mind the air conditioning, and he specifically praised the food. He also reported that he took up snorkeling, apparently during those few minutes of the day when his captors loosened the thumb screws. "Americans are great people, better than anyone else," he told the Guardian. "If I could be anywhere, I would be in America. I would like to be a doctor, an engineer -- or an American soldier."

Brainwashed that sucker, didn't we? But don't expect him to show up on ABC anytime soon.

...

A guy from New York named Ed Voyer sent me an email this week in response to an earlier column of mine. I think his summary of the awfulness of our War on Terrorism prisons is worth quoting. "I was just reading the DoD's interrogation methods both pre and post January 2003," he writes. "One thing struck me, that amused me to no end. Most of the tortures are those I voluntarily submitted to in Army Basic Training of 1977 (though we had nothing as tasty as MRE's back then). Shouting, sleep deprivation, forced shaving, prolonged standing, twice daily calisthenics, good guy bad guy, and much more. It seems that the terrorists will come out fit and healthy under such torture."


Liberals want to go back to Church Committee rules of engagement for the CIA. For now they just torture us all with their torture fetish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains